(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, February 7, 2015

board#065: shortboard for Aiden (Team rider)

notice how Aiden sacrifice his shoe
to make sure his board is safe!!!

Dimensions: 5'1 x 16 3/4 x 2
[Completed in September 2014]

The story: Aiden's family and mine share the same playground. For months we have been surfing the same break, made castles with the same sand, went down the same trail. We are Beacons's crew!!! I noticed Aiden for his cute hairstyle and most of all for his surfing skills. This kid can surf!!! I could also see how he loves being in the Ocean, either on a pink foamy board, or with a short board or a hand plane, anything that would keep him in the Ocean... I approached his mom, Colleen, very surfer too, as I was looking for young talents for my brand. Few months after, we decided to make Aiden a board for his next NSSA competition season. Let me introduce you my youngest Team rider: Aiden Sprunk.

The shape: Aiden was 11 when he ordered his board.  He urgently needed something bigger and longer, more than his current board to accommodate for growth spurt! He brought his beautiful DHD Darren Handley Designs board and I took the outline and we discussed what new dimensions would fit Aiden better. We had a pretty tight timeline in order to get his  board ready within 4 weeks for the first contest of the NSSA season.

The artwork: Aiden was inspired by the boards I made for Rudy Marechal (click here). He asked for a purple blade with brush-painted stripes. The glassing was done at Global Glassing in a record time to make sure Aiden gets his board on time for upcoming contest. Thank you Global Glassing!

Testimonial: Few days after picking-up his board Aiden rode it at the contest and made it to the finales ;) 









with mom


No comments:

Post a Comment