(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, December 18, 2014

board#060: shortboard for Yassine

Yassine with board#060

Dimensions: 6'0 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/4
[completed in august 2014]

The story: When Loick came to pick up his Mère-Made custom board last year (board#33) he came down from Newport Beach with his surf buddy, Yassine. That is when Yassine told me he would like me to shape his next shortboard. Months passed and I thought Yassine had change his mind when, one day, I got a text saying he would like to meet to discuss his new board...

The shape: Yassine drove down from Orange County to chat about his custom board. With the help of Vincent (my technical support), we agreed on a shorter, thinner, narrower short board than the one Yassine was riding. And that was the whole point: to make Yassine a more technical board which will give him more room for progression. Because he really liked the outline of his current board I took its template and shank down the dimensions. To this I added my favorite deep single to double concave. We went from progressive shortboard to a performance shortboard!

The artwork: Yassine was very specific. He was aiming for a traditional Moroccan tile artwork (he is from Morocco). Of course, I had no time (and no desire) to draw a mosaic piece by piece!!! So I made like a trompe-l'oeil using a high resolution file of a Moroccan mosaic that Yassine picked on internet. Boardlams printed it out on rice paper. Then it was my job to make sure that a rectangle piece of rice paper would naturally wrap around the rails. My glasser did an amazing job following the very precise directions. He made it all happen. Exactly how Yassine imagined it. 

Testimonial: what better testimonial than to watch Yassine catching very crappy waves (choppy, small and windy) on his very first surf with his new board?


















4 comments:

  1. Aha! I remember that day! It was a very busy day at the Duprat house with two boards being picked up! Yassine did a great job surfing Beacons on it! A lovely board as usual!
    Bron x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a FREAKING AWESOME day: you guys, Michelle and Yassine. Surf & Friendship Day!!!

      Delete
  2. Great article! Thanks again for everything.
    I really enjoy riding this great board, I will come back soon to show you my progress :-)
    Yassine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super Yassine! trop contente que ta planche te plaise. Let's surf again together soon!

      Delete