(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, January 13, 2014

Boards #028 & #029: twin shortboards for Xavier & Baptiste


first session in the middle of the European winter: motivated!


Dimensions: 5'10 x 20 x 2 1/2
[completed in October 2013]

The story: My husband comes from a surfing family. His two brothers surf in France, where they live. Because it seems an aberration that my family surf other boards than Mere-Made ones, I decided to shape them a board each as a Christmas present.

The shape: my hubby guided me on the type of board his brothers would like to have. We went for a “fat” short board, same template I did in the past for Chris, inspiredby the Motorboat model (created by Rob Machado for Lost). I shortly debated if I should shape them one after the other… But it made totally more sense to shape them simultaneously in order to make them more identical. Therefore I duplicated all the steps, going back and forth between the boards. The rails were tailored to the surf (weight/surf skills) as one board needed more rounded rails than the other.

The artwork: matching artwork was a no brainer. The brothers wanted to honor the memory of their dad who passed away few years ago. The emblem of the family was a scorpion with the motto “if he sting you, sting him back”.  The two scorpions mirror each other for a Yin and Yang effect when the two brothers will be going surfing together.


The delivery: the boards traveled with me from California to Bordeaux, in the South of France for a special delivery on Christmas Eve! It was fun to play Mrs Claus this year!






No comments:

Post a Comment