(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, May 27, 2012

privileged apprentice

On my doorstep was waiting a package. I was not expecting anything. I have not ordered much online lately. No particular birthday or anniversary. Still the package was sitting there. 

It was from our friends in Bordeaux (France): David and Fred. They just welcomed the cutest baby girl last january, but this package was a bit heavy for a birth announcement...

When I opened it, I indeed found a colorful card with an adorable baby picture (they are good at creating babies too :)). I also found a pile of french surf magazines, some chocolated delicacies and a bunch of craft papers... which were not any craft paper. I recognized them right away: meticulously folded, were 6 SWOP surf board templates with the shaper annotations. I was speechless. David Charbonnel, my mentor/inspirational shaper from SWOP Surfboards, was giving me more of his secrets. Indeed, last summer he already gave me a template for a performance fish he created (see board#004). I knew I was very fortunate to receive such a gift from a successful professional shaper. Now, having 6 more of these precious templates in hands I feel so... privileged and indefinitely grateful. All I wanna do is to shape those boards and give my best: I want my friends who believe in me to be proud. Thank you David and Fred for your support.


a package full of surf treasures

SWOP landed on my car and enjoys californian sunsets
Our cat Dr Elliot also can't believe his eyes:
SWOP surfboard templates everywhere!

Hubby feels the urgency to build a real shaping room
learning from the master at the SWOP workshop last summer 


No comments:

Post a Comment