(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

board #005: eggy longboard

dimensions: 8'3 x 20 3/4 x 3 3/8
[completed in October 2011]

Until now I was shaping for me or a close family member. 
Board #005 is my first official order!!! It meant a lot to me and I definitely could feel a different vibe while shaping it. Some kind of pressure... I was on a mission: to satisfy my first customer, Rick who is my husband's friend (and boss!). He is an athletic guy of 5'11 and 185 pounds who practices Ju-Jitsu on a daily basis. He started surfing last spring and he was looking for an easy board he could ride in any kind of conditions, no hassle, pure fun.
I worked on a shaping software to design a model which would fit Rick the most. I ended up shaping an hybrid board between longboard and egg. "Longboard" because of the volume, round rails, flat bottom and square tail. "Egg" because of the narrow lines, specially on the nose and tail. 

The design was specially thought for Rick who is a big fan of MMA (Mixed Martial Art). I copied part of the official MMA logo to which I added a twist of tribal tatoo.

The glass job was done at Global Glassing in Oceanside.


eggy longboard or long egg

Central fin: 7'' GT Manta from Fiberglass Fin Co (USA)
before glassing

plenty of volume = plenty of waves!



when I say "home made surfboard"  I mean it. Literally.

Rick meets with his new board

5 comments:

  1. Sweet! You just make me more and more excite about mine..and I know mine is gonna say made with love for me by Valerie ;-)!..Because I know it will be!!!!!! Good job..this is a beautiful board! I am sure Rick is gonna rule the break in that puppy..and can't wait for updates on how it rides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The styles you have given to your surfboards is very trendy. I have visited the place where the surfing competition is going on all of them have these kinds of surf accessories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good information you've right here on this post. I shall be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the best articles on a longboard. It informs about the anatomy of a longboard and helps me to learn the basics on this. I am learning skateboarding and to practice the learning tricks I have purchased Strauss Cruiser FP electric skateboard. It is less expensive and also an effective skateboard for a beginner. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete