(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, December 7, 2019

board#161: egg for Tanya



Dimensions: 6'6 x 21 1/2 x 2 3/4
[Completed in April 2017]
Model Vader

The story: Small world. Tanya is a tandem surfer. I used to be a tandem surfer too but before many years before her. So we never overlapped in the line-up. But our path crossed through surfing anyway. Like it was meant to be. The tandem surfing community is a like a family. Even if we don't know each other we are like "cousins" as we share the same passion in our blood (once a tandem surfer, always a tandem surfer). She expressed her wish to have a board shaped by me. It was such a great pleasure to make her "solo surfing" board.

The shape: As any tandem surfer, Tanya is mainly in the water with her partner on a huge tandem board. It takes a lot of hours of practice and only little left to surf on her own (speaking by experience). Therefore she asked for board with plenty of volume to catch tons of waves when she gets the chance to go out on her own. This egg also allows her to execute cute some turns if needed.

The artwork: Tanya's favorite artist is Chloe Early. She is obsessed with her paintings and asked me to have piece that was particularly meaningful to her on her board. It was tricky for me to blend a rectangle on a surfboard without breaking the lines of the outline. I went for a modern vibe with asymmetrical diagonal painted under the painting (which was printed on rice paper by Boardlams).  By respect for the artist, I contacted her to show the board and she was stoked for Tanya. Tanya was stoked too. I was stoked for Tanya. Therefore everyone was super stoked !




No comments:

Post a Comment