(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, September 13, 2014

board#050: shortboard for Mark (Collector Axel Lorentz/Valerie Duprat shape)






Dimensions: 6'0 x 18 5/8 x 2 5/8
[completed in May 2014]

The story: When Mark ordered his 3rd Mere-Made surfboard (look at his Mere-Made quiver : keel fish & mini-gun) he had no idea that not only it will be the #050 Mere-made board but also that it would be co-shaped with a special guest. Axel Lorentz, shaper at Pukas and for his own brand Axel Lorentz Shapes, happened to be staying at my house when he came to California to compete in The Icon of Foam contest (Boardroom 2014). No way I was letting him leave without shaping a board together! I decided it would be Mark's board as it was overdue and it was a very special shape on which I could easily use some help. What an opportunity to learn from one of the finest shapers in France! Even though my shaping is still (and always will be)  deeply inspired by my mentor's techniques (SWOP Surfboards), blending different influences is the opportunity for me to grow into my own personal style.

The shape: On Axel departure day, we headed to the shaping room. Time was limited. It was like a final exam as I was using the techniques he taught me during his stay in Encinitas. He closely supervised the shaping and helped quite a lot with the hardest technicalities. And it WAS a very challenging board, inspired by a Dave Parmenter shape, with a double wing tail and a particular edged rail which goes  all the way to the nose. I was so relieved to have a pro helping on this job.
Even though Axel had to rush to the airport before the board was finished, the shape was very much advanced and I just had to work on the rails and overall sanding after he left.

The artwork: Because of the 80's vibe of this shape, I suggested something very classic to Mark. The colors came from what was in my spray gun that day (I was painting Rudy's quiver with Black and royal blue). Sorry Mark :) it was either that or waiting an extra week or two to have it painted with green ! The glassing was done by Global Glassing.

Testimonial: It seems that Mark likes his new board as he took it to his trip to Maui last week :)












PS: Thanks Mark for the shaping action pictures




Mark in Maui last week



No comments:

Post a Comment