(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, January 25, 2014

board#032: mini-gun for Mark


B&W pictures for the "Blacks board"


Dimensions: 6'5 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/8
[completed in November 2013]

The story: Mark is a returning customer. When not on his Tomo, he surfs the retrofish I made for him last year. I guess he liked my shape as he asked for another board.

The shape: This time he wanted me to create the ideal weapon for a solid Blacks (San Diego, CA). We agreed for a 6’5 mini-gun with generous volumes. I was almost done with the shaping when my husband told me Mark wanted a V concave on the bottom (that information was transmitted late at night after a boys night-out). Of course I had already made a single to double concave so I went back to the shaping room and changed it to a V…  thinking "weird... but I have to go with whatever the customer wants". Then a couple of hours after I changed the bottom back to a V, Mark showed up to check on the volumes before I wrap up and that is when I realized that he really meant “double concave” instead of “V”… The bad news is that I had to revert the concave back to what it was. The good news is that I had enough volume on the tail to do so… All together I spent two extra hours because of lexical discrepancies.

The artwork: I fought back several crazy idea from Mark including "a seagull landing on the deck" or "a glass of red wine spilling over the deck" (he was drinking wine when discussing so that might explain…). We had a good laugh though but "no thanks". We agreed that classy black rails would be perfect for the "Blacks board". Simple look but not easy to make as the rails have to be perfectly symmetrical. I also add a big black Mere-Made logo sitting proudly on the deck. 

Testimonial: Text from Mark to my husband on december 20th:
"Surfed Blacks this morning big sets. The board worked perfect. Gripped on the bombs. Plenty of flotation to paddle in. Turns really good. I love the board!" 




Global Glassing are so sweet: they put black fin boxes!



Mark got his Xmas present right in time

No comments:

Post a Comment