(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, September 14, 2013

board#025: longboard for Laurie


Dimensions: 8'0 x 22 x 2 7/8
[completed in July 2013]

The story: My friend Rob wanted to surprise his wife Laurie for their 9th marriage anniversary. He ordered me a surfboard and the secret was kept even though I was seeing Laurie every week at the beach or at my house, chatting just 5 feet away from the shaping room where her board was being made...  Meanwhile I was discussing details with Rob over emails and texts. He just gave it to her two days ago, on the very day of their anniversary. 

The shape: Rob knew exactly what he wanted for his wife. He emailed me the dimensions and I designed it with the free online software SurfDesigner. My input was minimal except for the rails that I brought the rails down  as I wanted  a very evolutive board as Laurie is not a beginner and she will improve very fast. So despite being 8'0, this egg looks FAST!!!

The artwork: Rob had a very precise idea about the artwork. He designed a logo himself for this special occasion. It represents the name of his wife embedded in a Yin& Yang configuration... because Rob found his soul mate in Laurie!
I kinda wanted to have Laurie to participate to the artwork as she is a talented artist (soon to open a gallery!) but Rob really really wanted to keep it as a surprise. She can still add some of her own art later as the white of the blank is like a white page ready for more later...


Logo designed by Rob for his wife





Laurie, stoked, right after her first session


Rob and Laurie = L-O-V-E


1 comment:

  1. What a great looking board! Tell Laurie I am jealous! And a lovely story to go with it. Can you post a picture once she has put her artwork on it? Cheers Bron x

    ReplyDelete