(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, November 29, 2015

board#087: egg for Owen



Dimensions: 5'9 x 20 x 2 1/2
[completed in March 2015]

The story: Owen is my lawyer. He enabled the Trade-Mark of Mère-Made Surfboards (the name first and more recently the logo).  He is the one who will go after anyone who dares having a mermaid sitting on a V :) 

The shape: Owen had a Mère-Made performance shortboard in the past (click here).  This time he was looking for a more relax summer-type shape that Owen spotted in a local surfshop. We went "shopping" together and I took the dimensions/shape he liked of a board he liked at the store. It was a very unusual shape in between an egg and a shortboard (Happy Shovel from Rusty). I had never seen something like this before and for this reason it was very interesting to shape. 

The artwork: Owen's choice of artwork almost triggered a diplomatic incident as he picked my husband's artwork signature: the Zipper. But because Owen is a lawyer, he got the final word! :) In order to make something unique about his board, he requested a two-color zipper.



diamond tail + 5 fin setup




Owen and Vincent are opening up about their zippers




No comments:

Post a Comment