(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, November 9, 2013

board#027: modern fish for Loic

modern fish with modern artwork


Dimensions: 6'8 x 21 5/8 x 2 1/2
[completed in September 2013]

The story: Loic lives in Los Angeles. He has a friend named Loick who is working for a nutrient company which is a supplier for my husband…. Complicated. In brief, the word is going around that Mere-Made boards are pretty awesome ;))) That is when I get an email for a new order from a person I don't know, (well, now I know him a bit more). Loic started surfing last year on a longboard. He wanted a shorter board but still easy to paddle to start transitioning into short boards. We went surfboard shopping so I can have a feel (and him too!) of what would be a good fit for him. He picked a fat modern fish. I said : let's go!!!

The shape: nothing special to report. Smooth & fast except for the tail which required some engineering thinking about the tools to create/use to shape such a tiny swallow tail. 

The artwork: well…. if the shaping part went smoothly, the artwork, on the other hand, was a bit of a mess. I screwed up, big time…. Loic wanted a checkered flag (used in the car races). I went for it but when taping the board, I totally spaced out and for some obscure reasons, I created extra spaces between the black/white squares. The worst part is that I only realized my mistake after painting it, while removing the tape. I looked at it and I went "Sh……t.!!!!" With a cold sweat, I immediately called Loic to explain the situation and sent a picture of the new design… He was such a sweet heart and said he liked the new pattern anyway (I actually like it better than a real checkered flag). Relief. But I learnt my lesson: not a bad idea to double check the taping pattern before painting.  Thank you Loic for your understanding!

When I got a text from Loic saying he was coming down from LA to pick up his board, I texted him back saying: "Don't forget the fins, leash and...your wetsuit". After the traditional photoshoot, we headed to the beach and he got to try it at my home spot. Loic was very excited and it is such a reward for the shaper to witness that! I wish I could do that with all my customers! 







sorry for the arachnophobics,
it was before Halloween




First wax. Emotion.

adopted at first sight!

de-taping...

oupsy...

not really a checkered flag
but looking damn good!







2 comments:

  1. Splendid as usual !! Un grand bravo pour ce professionnalisme (---))).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci Nat! "professionnalisme" c'est peut-être un bien grand mot mais le métier rentre petit a petit …. Je suis en train de shaper ma 32ieme planche!!!

      Delete