(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Boardroom 2013 Edition




The best Californian shapers working live in a glass shaping bay. 
This is what you get  when attending the Boardroom (ex-Sacred Craft) event. This is my most expected event of the year and the 2013 edition definitely met my high expectations (Thank you Scott Bass for making this happens!). I roamed the from booth to booth, talking to the most prestigious shapers like Robert August. It was also the occasion to stop by and say "Hi" to folks from companies I work with for  my Mère-Made Surfboards projects: Surfy Surfy/Moonlight Glassing, Bing Surfboards, Boardlams, Artic Foam, Foam EZ…
But the highlight of my day was to watch Wayne Rich shaping a surfboard from a block of foam. Literally. He had to create the blank (no stringer of course) and shape it in 3 hours without measurement tool and no template. I was glued to his shaping bay, mesmerized to witness such a display of skills. I felt bad standing there for almost 2 hours straight when I could have spent more time with another highlight of the day: meeting with my friend Michelle, the famous Surfing Grand Ma of the OC!!!! I have not seen here since Pabs Paddle out memorial last February. She is such a delight. I could hang out with her all day. We still could manage to hang out a bit and visit Linda Benson’s booth together.  The event finished in an apotheose as Matt Calvani, shaper and owner of Bing Surboards where I glass some of my boards, won the the Icon of Foam challenge. Yay! Driving back home I was all pumped up by a new energy: Will. Next year, at the 2014 Boardroom, there will be a Mère-Made Surfboard booth!

In my wildest dreams, it would be my name right there...
With from Tracy Artic Foam. Marty takes the picture :(

mermaids always catch my eye

true
My friends Michelle and Artie from the OC!!!

2012 Icon of Foam winner
when I say a "block of foam", I really meant a block!


blank done in 2 hours... only one hour left to shape the board

notes from the Master



 
channels
when time was up (3h), the board was so close to be completed


with Linda Benson
Margaret Calvani at the Bing booth
after all the prints I ordered for my boards,
I finally met with John in person :)
pausing very naturally with JP (Surfy Surfy)

no caption necessary



No comments:

Post a Comment