(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Board#019: fish (or lizard?) for Steve





Dimension: 5'10 x 19 7/8 x 2 5/8
[completed in February 2013]

Wallace is a San Esteban Island Chuckwalla (also known as Sauromalus varius). Wallace is Tamara's pet. Tamara ordered a custom board for her dad, Steve, who wanted the family pet on his board. As he is from a very rare species, she had professional pictures of Wallace so I just had to blow one of the pictures up, added some cool shading and sent the file to Boardlams.com for printing on rice paper. Basically, the artwork was done digitally this time but the result is pretty vivid!


 About the shape itself, the outline was mainly inspired by the Round Nose Fish model (Lost) which I thought would fit the Steve's description of its ideal board. He wanted an easy-to-paddle fish set up with quad. Performance was not a priority, fun factor was. That is why I kept the rails very rounds with a flat deck to compensate with the generous rocker of this blank (US Blank 5'10 RP). I do like to shape "fat" boards, maybe in reaction to the "skinny" shapes I have to do for my husband :) 



Steve holding the "Wallace board"
with daughter Tamara  holding the real Wallace
Wallace, the first lizard to tandem surf with...himself



print out on rice paper by Boardlams.com
Isn't Wallace the coolest pet?


2 comments:

  1. Well that is very unique! And... Wallace is way cool!
    As always... Good Job V!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cooooooool lizard!! haha that's very original and one-of-a-kind!

    ReplyDelete